D.M (Doctorate of Medicine)
The doctorate is a highly specialized, advanced degree. Applied doctorate degree programs provide students the opportunity to get a practical degree that allows them to do research and understand the human body and diseases in great depth and also applying their skills in the field of the needed health condition.
Doctorate of Medicine (DM) is a three-year specialized super specialty degree in medicine. MD is a postgraduate degree, while DM comes after MD/MS or DNB indicating super specialty degree.
In layman’s terms, MD stand for post-graduate and DM stands for super specialization, respectively. MD/MS degrees are awarded after post-graduation, while DM degrees are awarded after super specialization.
You become a super expert in that specific subject from the branch in which you completed your MD with a DM degree. For example, an MD medicine fellow may pursue a super-specialty in endocrine, neurology, nephrology, cardiology, Immunology, Rheumatology, Endocrinology, Clinical hematology, gastroenterology and many more which were previously considered internal medicine subspecialties.
It is extremely common among the general public not to know the role of DM and MCh, therefore let me explain the difference between M.Ch in Neurosurgery and D.M. in Neurology. For Eg; M.Ch. in Neurosurgery is a course that focuses on brain and spinal cord surgery, whereas D.M. in Neurology is a course that focuses on the study of brain and nervous system problems.
The National Eligibility cum Entrance Test – NEET SS, which stands for Super Specialty degree course across the nation. It’s the most difficult test you’ve taken so far if you’ve applied to medical college; to pass the NEET SS, you’ll need to be extremely knowledgeable.
Doctorate of Medicine (DM) Eligibility Criteria
The Doctorate of Medicine, or DM, is typically pursued by ambitious degree doctors who aim to reach the highest professional achievements. Doctors get more knowledgeable and advanced as a result of toughest course of medical field.
- Applicants must hold a PG Medical degree (MD/MS or PG Diploma) from the same or any other authorized college/university.
- Applicants must have passed one of India’s NEET-SS Super-Specialty entrance exams, either at the national, state, or university level.
- The admission process is based on the NEET-SS score, which is held by the NBE (national board of examination).
- Chosen for DM courses depending on their performance in the qualifying NEET-SS entrance exam.
Applicants must review the qualifying criteria, established by the College offers DM course, in which they seek to take admission, for each college’s eligibility criterion and accepted admittance.
- The general cast Applicants must have a minimum overall score of 50% in the PG Medical course. And SC/ST/OBC applicants must have a 45 percent overall score in their PG Medical course.
- If applicants have completed their MBBS at the same college/institution or university, their overall result in the National/State/University-level entrance exam and the MBBS exam will be put into consideration.
- It should be noted that, according to the criteria, 50 percent of the seats will be filled based on students’ performance in competitive NEET SS exams, while the other seats will be filled based on management quota.
- Moreover, course duration and qualifying conditions might differ based on the course and university, so students should double-check before registering for counseling.
- NMC (National medical commission) would provide temporary registration to foreign nationals; however, that such temporary registration is subject to the condition that such person be duly registered with the appropriate registering authority in his own country where he obtained his PG Medical qualification, and which is duly recognized by the relevant Medical Council or concerned author.
Scope after DM
There is a large ocean of prospects for you to plunge into, so be sure you have adequate and reliable information about your opportunities prior to making a choice on your future. Super specialty signifies the highest level of authority of a more concerned humanity. Particularly in the approaching years, one must be equipped with extensive knowledge from toe to head in order to deal with the challenging environment for the human bodies. Doctorate comprehensive thorough knowledge of medical field can satisfy the need completely. You can get high-paying jobs at renowned super specialty hospitals, the government sector, nursing homes, NGO`S etc. you can also work as respected professors in medical colleges. At the same time, you can work as a consultant doctor at multiple hospitals.
After earning your DM/MCh. degree, you will begin on a new adventure that will amaze you since you will be treated with more respect than ever before. The responsibility of dealing with human life is undeniably daunting. Nation and people look up to you and want to witness many more clinical breakthroughs in the field of medical sciences.
Below mentioned DM courses are available in Karnataka medical colleges.
DM – Cardiology
DM – Neurology
DM – Nephrology
DM – Oncology
DM – Endocrinology
DM – Pulmonary Medicine
DM – Gastroenterology
DM – Critical Care Medicine
DM – Medical Genetics
DM – Cardiac-Anesthesia